ANST - Steaks, Beans, and Other Questionable Foods

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Sep 9 08:48:02 PDT 1998

> First, let it be said that all attempts to serve a more period feast are
> the results of the work of Gerald of Leesville.  If not for him, this
> year would have been hot dogs and potato chips, with pink lemonade to
> drink!

The chips would take some remodification but I can get you documentation
for small sausages and lemonade type drinks were common in the Middle Ages.

  Gerald has been the voice of reason in planning this feast.  My
> sole intention was, and is, to serve a good meal to 200 (or more) of my
> closest weekend friends, aka you the SCA travellers.

I can relate.

  I agree that our
> menu is not the most period, I really don't think were going to find
> documentation for chocolate ice cream or frozen raspberry yogurt.

Not the chocolate ice cream but yogurt and fruit ices were eaten as far
back as imperial Rome.

(Hee! This is fun!)

> Some consider cooking to be an art.

Yep.

  I am one of Mistress Meadbdh's
> students; her guidance has influenced a number of my A&S entries.

> Others consider cooking to be service.

Depends on what you do with it. I consider it to be an art because service
and science are absolute whereas art can be a gray area. One person can love
it and another hate the same thing.

> Respectfully submitted,

Gleefully replied to.

> Othar Morganson                  MKA: Jerry Dreifuerst

Yers,

Gunthar