ANST - Steaks, Beans, and Other Questionable Foods

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Wed Sep 9 10:53:48 PDT 1998

On 9 Sep 98, at 7:52, Jerry Dreifuerst wrote:

> My sole intention was, and is, to serve a good meal to 200 (or
> more) of my closest weekend friends, aka you the SCA travellers.  I
> agree that our menu is not the most period, I really don't think
> were going to find documentation for chocolate ice cream or frozen
> raspberry yogurt.  However, I feel that there will be a great many
> at feast this weekend that will find the atmosphere surrounding our
> meal to be one of revelry, fun, and enjoyment, qualities that
> should make Stargate's feast worth the sacrifice of stepping
> outside the 900-1600 A.D. time frame.

personally i'm at a loss why the menu is such an issue.  so it offends the
sensibilities of a vocal minority, they're always going find something to
offended by.  i don't see where they are being forced to attend or eat so
what's their beef really (sorry, had to be done ... g).  if i had to guess, i
would bet that you sell out completely and have people on the waiting list,
and after you will have a hall full of very satisfied customers..  there's a old
concept about voting with your feet, in this case i would say let the people
vote with their stomachs.

so it's different than what has become the (often inedible) norm, so much
the better.  there is no requirement that everything always be the same ...
something "low period" is a refreshing change from the "high period"
productiosn that often end in disaster.  someone else brought up a
importnat concept, we have not been raised in medieval europe, we have
been raised in modern america and what was high-culinary to them is often
inedible glop to us ... cultural norms are very important where food is
concerned  (as WIC learned a few years back ... )

if this "menu" is a traditoion you are proud of, works for you, and your
populace, then by all means keep it up against those that delight in
pointing out every non-PC (period correct) aspect in this game.  that may
be their reason for playing, but it is not necessarily everyone elses.

the only faction that should have *any* say in the matter are those taking
the time and energy to put it together and the populace that *chooses* to
attend ... if they come, and they eat, and they enjoy themselves (the main
reason for expending the energy), then your production is a sucess and
should be done again until they decide they want something else.

if it offends a few and they deside to stay home becuase it's not up to their
stellar standards, that's their choice, and really no loss to the whole of the
event ... if i was still in Stargate, i would probably get it together and show
up (i prefer "low culture" events over "high medieval" ... less fun in the later
... and *always* enjoy a good cut of meat)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves