ANST - Steaks, Beans, and Other Questionable Foods

Wed Sep 9 12:47:33 PDT 1998

> personally i'm at a loss why the menu is such an issue.

This is one of those philosophical debates that is regularly trotted out on
the cooks list, where we niggle over the fine points of what constitutes
period, periodish, and non-period menus.  The chief complaint is that it is
not "period" or even "periodish."  Those of us who enjoy historical cooking
question why feasts tend to be "non-period" when the knowledge and skills to
do a "period" feast are available.
Such debate almost always draws strong arguments pro and con as well as
those of us who enjoy discussing a given menu's periodness  on fine points
of scholarly trivia.

In defense of the feast, it does not proport to be anything other than a
modern steak and shrimp feed.  I'm certain many people will enjoy their
"collops of beef."  Unfortunately, I'm to far away and to busy to attend the
event.

> so it's different than what has become the (often inedible) norm, so much
> the better.  there is no requirement that everything always be the same
> something "low period" is a refreshing change from the "high period"
> productiosn that often end in disaster.

I would suggest the terms "high persona" and "low persona."  The food is
either period or non-period.  The cooking is either good or bad.    The
ability to provide a palatable meal has little to do with whether it is a
"production" or not.  Success comes to those who can determine what the
required results should be and how to achieve them within the constraints of
time, budget, and facilities.

The meal in question has the saving grace of being relatively easy to
prepare, easy to budget, and within the reach of even the most primative
facilities.

> someone else brought up a
> importnat concept, we have not been raised in medieval europe, we have
> been raised in modern america and what was high-culinary to them is often
> inedible glop to us ... cultural norms are very important where food is
> concerned  (as WIC learned a few years back ... )

Bunk.  The majority of people involved in this group have been exposed to a
wider variety of odd-ball foods than medieval Europe ever produced (think of
the Twinkie).  Medieval food may seem a little odd, but most ethnic foods
have the same odditiy.  You may not like a given dish, but that is not a
reason to condemn medieval cooking out of hand.  If the food truly is
inedible glop -- hang the cook!  Bad cooking is bad cooking.

BTW, there are people who consider kim chee inedible glop.

>  (i prefer "low culture" events over "high medieval" ... less fun in the
> later
> ... and *always* enjoy a good cut of meat)
>
> 'wolf

Hard logic to refute, since I prefer fun to boredom, but I will point out
that there are "high medieval" events that are fun (Lion's Tourney and a
rain-soaked, booze filled night with Moonbear, Ragnar and the crew comes to
mind).  Good food improves ones pleasure, bad food reduces ones pleasure.  A
good medieval meal can improve the ambiance of the recreation.

For myself, I working on an early 16th Century menu for "A Lunch with
Leonardo," period Northern Italian.  At the moment, it is a scholarly
exercise, but once I have the meal planned, I'll probably execute it to
satisfy my curiosity and my artistic pretensions.

Bear