ANST - Second-Guessing

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Wed Apr 28 09:14:13 PDT 1999

Greetings, all:

Paul Mitchell (Viscount Sir Galen of Bristol) wrote:

> Baroness Gunnora Hallakarva recently said:
>
> <a bunch of pretty reasonable stuff which I have
> nonetheless snipped, because I'm not going to
> reply point-by-point>
>
> But Gunnora, when does it get _decided_?
>
> [snip]
>
> I'm not saying there shouldn't be commentary,
> and I'm not restricting myself to solely the
> issue of a server.  And certainly, I've done
> my share of second-guessing, tweaking, and outright
> opposing of new ideas.  But doesn't there come a
> time when a decision is _made_?  When an idea
> _has_ _been_ approved?

Michael Silverhands, here. Galen, Gunnora, and all the others who have spoken up
(or out) have made some *excellent* points that reach beyond the point at hand
(whether to buy a Web server for the kingdom).

As Baron of a large, fairly successful barony, many of these same issues come up
*all the time*. They are *incredibly* difficult to resolve! How much money
should be in the baronial bank account? How much is a good reserve? How much is
*too* much? When do we have good *enough* reason to make a capital outlay? Who
gets to speak to the decision? How much "nit-picking" is enough? How much is
*too* much? Who gets to *make* the decision? When is the decision, once and for
all, *made*?

I have seen our seneschal, HL Ihon (congratulations again on the Star, Ihon!),
wrestle with these issues meeting after meeting. It seems we cannot hold an
event, or plan a feast, or buy a single !*@# cook-pot without rehashing these
issues. I do *not* envy Ihon his job.

But the fact is, we *have* a published policy that answers *many* (but not
*all*) of the questions. After all is said and done, the *seneschal* makes the
decision. Period.

If they are a *smart* seneschal, they consult the treasurer (to insure it is a
legal and financially sound decision), and the other members of the barony
including the other officers, the Baron and Baroness, and the populace (to
insure that the decision accurately reflects the will of the people being served
- er, no pun intended). If the decision is "strictly business", like "how much
will we pay for a new storeroom?", it may be discussed and decided at the
officer's meeting. On the other hand, if it clearly affects everyone, it may be
announced (and discussed if appropirate) at the meeting of the populace.

[Aside: In Stargate, there are two seperate meetings each month: one for the
populace, and another for the officers. Both meetings are open, anyone can come
to Officer's, but everyone knows it is more boring and business-like than
Populace, so it tends to be attended only by the officers.]

Anyway, all of these "asides" aside, it never fails to amaze me just how many
"armchair officers" are always willing to discuss an idea to death, but are
never willing to hold office or steward an event.

In a very real way, this listserve is very *much* like a "Populace" meeting for
the kingdom. The Red Tape event was very *much* like our "Officer's" meeting. In
this case, a capital outlay was discussed (and evidently not yet decided on) at
Officer's, and is now being discussed at Populace. The *big* difference, though,
is that *our* Populace meeting is moderated. The seneschal, Baron and Baroness
can (and *do*) say that enough discussion has taken place, it's time to move on
to another topic. We help keep the "specious nit-picking" to a minimum. In the
rare case that an issue cannot be adequately discussed and resolved during a
meeting (or held over to the next meeting), we call an "Interested Parties" (IP)
meeting to discuss that *one* issue. Everyone who is "interested" is invited.
The seneschal, Baron and Baroness and officers hear all discussion at the IP
meeting, then a decision is made. But, *again*, after all is said and done, the
*ultimate* decision rests with the *seneschal*.

Discussion and second-guessing of a decision after the above "due process" is
inappropriate (usually).

I think the main differences pertaining to *this* discussion are: 1) according
to Pug's post, this isn't *yet* decided, so discussion is still appropriate. But
2) ansteorra at ansteorra.org is *not* moderated in the sense of a Populace
meeting; it's more like the "roar" of discussion that usually *follows*
Populace, so there isn't anyone to say "Ok, that's enough nit-picking, let's
decide and move on to another topic".

Still, discussion has to take place somehow. And an open forum where people are
free to speak their minds is as good a place as any. For supporting that idea, I
thank you, Gunnora.

Once the kingdom seneschal has consulted with the kingdom treasurer, Crown,
other officers, *and* the populace (perhaps via this forum), I assume he will
make a decision. After that, there shouldn't be any more "second guessing". We
should just all agree to "pull together" and support the decision made in our
behalf - or string up the seneschal if it evidently *wasn't* made in our behalf
(*grin* - just kidding, Burke!).

Until then, the only "moderation" we get is by policing ourselves, by speaking
up when the "roar" is getting out of hand. And for that, I thank you, Galen.

Thoughtfully and appreciatively yours,
Michael
(Michael Silverhands, Baron of Stargate)