ANST - The Bard's Road

Jerry Norris jerryn at sprintmail.com
Wed Feb 10 04:45:38 PST 1999

At 02:56 AM 2/10/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I think many attack bards are newcomers ho haven't yet been told by some of
>us older and wiser bards about courtesy while performing at camp fires.

Ah, but there are those "old horses" who see a ripe opportunity and ...
well, capitalize on it.

>>Also, don't be shy about taking control of your own campfire.
>>There is no reason to have to abandon your own camp when it
>>is overrun by attack bards.  Set a limit on the number of
>>pieces performed by one person.  Set a rule that everyone
>>must take a turn before someone can sing another piece.

And if all else fails, a well placed, "M'lord/M'lady, perhaps you might
pause and drink and give these other stars around the campfire a chance to
shine," works.

>>I have a self imposed rule that I only perform twice at
>>a camp before setting off for another, unless specifically
>>asked to perform more.  This has two functions, it keeps
>>me from hogging the spotlight (and trust me, if you let me
>>sing all night, I would).  But, it also allows others a
>>chance to shine.

Myself, I want to hear others perform for a number of reasons, but mostly
because I like to be entertained as much as the next person.

>I saw a new bard devistated at Stepps when he dicided
>to attempt to perform at campsite. he walked into the camp respectful waited
>on the outskirts of the camp for a lull in the conversation. asked if he
>could enter thier camp. which was granted.    /* snip */   After we talked
he went
>with me to a few fires I knew were Bard freindly and he still performs
>today.
>
>This had a happy ending, but how many new bards have dicided not to take up
>our craft because of folks being intolernt or rude.

I have, up to this time, been fortunate in that I haven't met the type of
party going above, but then I don't have Lady Simone's energy and so I
don't wander as much as I might like.

>>I've also noticed that there is also a trend to more solo
>>performance rather than group singing.

And a sad thing too.  Some of the best music I've made has been performing
w/ others.  I have a few in my repetoire that are group songs, and I'm
always looking for more.  Give me an idea of "the old songs" so I can start
learning them.

Simone.  I have to admit that, when I 1st learned of your bardic page, I
thought that it took away some from the idea of what bards should be, but
after reading these thoughts, please count me on your list.  I'll give you
the appropriate information in a bit.

I've always tried to encourage bards to perform for others.  It enriches
our kingdom and our arts.  I think that often bards are hesitant to perform
in front of strangers because they are afraid of the reaction they'll
receive.  However, I've noticed, for the most part, that the reaction a
bard receives is favorable, with applause and kind words.  I can only hope
that those few who would only hear a bard during competition can have a
story or two told about them.

So I'll finish.  Please pardon my ramblings.

Gerald of Leesville
Barony of Stargate, Kingdom of Ansteorra