ANST - The Bard's Road

Donald Riney dariusobells at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 10 06:00:10 PST 1999

Greetings,
 as a Bard in the Kingdom I to have noticed this trend. Once when I was
teaching a flegling performer about the ways of the bard, I remember
saying to them, "Competition is no more the true nature of bardic arts
than simply hiting people with sticks is the nature of a chivalric
list." It is a part of what Bards do but not the whole picture. I can
remember Many times singing and telling Stories in a circle where I knew
but a few people. I was blessed by these perfomances by meeting new
freinds hearing new peices and noticing those of the bardic craft that
untill then I didn't know they existed.

Though I have been focused recently on other areas of My Arts, I still
look forward to those events when I can step into a circle and spin a
tale to freinds I haven't even met yet. I have also heard many times
from those who play, 'Ya know at my first event I thought the fighting
was great the atmosphere of chivalry and honor, and the merchants, the
food at feast the Royals in court. But ya know the Bard who came and
sang at my fire was just really something special!' The topics As Robert
fitz Morgan has mentioned were also alot of fun.

in the past few years I have heard but a handfull of new peices
Extolling the virtues of our kingdom. I have seen new performers stand
near a fire with a look of "would I be welcome?" So I guess what I am
saying is yah the bardic arts are geting a bit regulated to competition.
it would be nice to see bardic activities other than competition.
perhaps a list where the fighters are told the bards are watching, and
will sing of great deeds upn this feild tonight. perhaps an improve
circle, on the spot bardic can be nerve racking but also a lot of fun!

just my two pence on the topic
Ld Darius of the Bells, Bard at Large (ocaisionaly medium or Small)