ANST - Centurian award

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Thu Feb 25 10:07:53 PST 1999

At 09:55 AM 2/25/99 -0600, you wrote:

>>Ainar Magnusson asks:
>>
>>>Ansteorra
>>>now has a grant and a patent level award for fighting but do they have or
>>>are they considering an AoA level award for fighting.  I think this would
>be
>>>a good idea and would help provide some incentive to get better at
>fighting.
>>>Or a least some recognition for your efforts.  We have AoA level awards
>for
>>>service and A&S but not for fighting or I am just overlooking it.
>>

>>If I'm not mistaken, the Sable Falcon is armigerous (bestows an AoA).
>>
>>Herr Manfred von Wolf, Sentinal Pursuivant
>>Barony of the Stargate
>

>Is it?  I was told it was not.  And even if it is isn't it only given out by
>the king upon him observing fighting talent?  Well that is just fine but
>what about all the folks that never get an opportunity to fight in front of
>the king?  I have never heard of a sable falcon being given out by anyone
>but the king.  I know I fought almost 5 years in diff. things before I ever
>fought at an event that was attended by the king.  So back to the original
>question.  If this award can only be given out by the king on the king
>observing prowess on the field then we still don't have an award that is
>like the thistle or the crane.  One that a person can be recomended for and
>given the award without being directly observed by the crown.  So once again
>anyone have an idea for me?  Or am I just really loosing it.  And btw that
>is not at all a remote possibility :)
>Ainar

I have seen the Sable Falcon given by the Crown on a number of occasions
when the Crown did not witness the actual deeds, but was told of them by
members of the Chivalry or Centurions.  In situations like Gulf Wars or
Pennsic it is sometimes very hard for the Crown to see what others are
doing in the middle of the battles (especially if they are fighting for
their very lives!).  Remember that anyone can recommend to the Crown, any
person, for any award.

In Service to the Dream

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald, OP
Kingdom of Ansteorra