ANST - Re: Gulf Wars update

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Wed Jan 20 13:20:18 PST 1999

Greetings, all:

Sir Lyonel (Dennis Grace) wrote:
> I hate to disagree with the voice of reason on this, but unless a bunch
> of cabins recently burned to the ground, someone in Meridies has made a
> very poor decision.  The GW autocrats advertised (hell, they're *still*
> advertising) that the ~120 cabin beds would be available on a strictly
> first come, first served basis. If they ran out of space for the Crowned
> Heads of the Knowne World, that's an unrelated problem.  If they have
> inadequate space for said Crowned Heads in the condominiums, they should
> obtain an alternate form of lodging (rent trailers, rent tents, build
> houses, whatever) not steal reserved cabin space.
>
> If a hotel pulled something like this on me, I'd sue.  Can you say
> "false advertising"?
>
> lo vostre por vos servir
> Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace

You are quite correct about their advertised policy.

I just checked the Gulf Wars Web site's registration page at
<http://www2.netdoor.com/~rament/Gulf/Registration.html>
which was last modified 03-Dec-98 11:51 at the time of this writing, and it says:

"There are 120 beds and will be assigned on a first come, first serve basis. The
only exception to this rule is that reservations received on December 1, 1998,
will be given priority to those received before December 1, 1998."

Now, it's entirely possible that the Web page doesn't reflect the current
reality. Perhaps the reservations clerk could answer these questions. The Web
site lists her as THL Kathlene Simonetta, mka Cathy Craft, email
<mailto:gwarsrsvp at hotmail.com>. The autocrat is Sir John the Pursuwer, mka John
M. Hill, email <mailto:Pursuwer at worldnet.att.net>; the co-autocrat is THL Fianna
nic Dhaibdidh, mka Kelley Davidson, email <mailto:fianna at mindspring.com>.

In any case, this is clearly a mess. Here's hoping it gets straightened out to
(most) everyone's satisfaction soon. (I maintain no illusions about anyone being
able to satisfy everyone.) Let's hope this doesn't put too much of a damper on
our War effort.

Siege Engines! Archers! Cavalry! Fighters! Artisans! Bards! To arms!!! Let us
make this Gulf Wars the most fun, the most memorable yet. Let all of us who can,
go to Meridies and come home as laden with honor as those proud few who stood
the field at the last battle of Pennsic this year!!!

In your service,
Michael Silverhands,
Baron of Stargate