ANST - Re: Why am I playing this game

Cameron Lewis camlewis at swbell.net
Sat Jun 5 15:57:24 PDT 1999

Dana Schuman wrote something like:

> Isobel, you also suggested that the lone peer may have done something really
> bad to warrant this attack by the others.  I was raised in the SCA to think
> that if one did something "really bad", higher authorities, such as the
> Crown or Kingdom Seneschal or the like, would be notified and consulted on
> the matter.  So there would be no action like this one and so the SCA would
> always be in positive public opinion.  It would all be handled with civility
> with everyone giving and receiving the respect they are due, where no one is
> slighted or treated without respect and feels as if there is no escape or no
> way to defend themselves.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

I have a different opinion on that...as a professional I see my
co-workers doing things they should not be doing, as I am sure most
people do at their job.  I feel that if I can talk to them about their
behavior and it changes for the better, there should be no need to bring
it to the attention of THEIR BOSS.  Perhaps the people in question were
bringing up something they thought should be stopped before having to go
to the King or Kingdom Seneschal, in effect helping their fellow peer
from doing something they might regret.  Perhaps backing someone up
against a display was only seen to be that by Anya.   Perhaps they were
going aside so as not to be in the way of others, some business is
better NOT heard by the populous but not warranted for a peerage circle.

If we do not know the particulars of what we see do we always think it
to be something bad, perhaps they were working out a problem.  If we do
not know what was said then how do we know that anyone was "reduced to
tears".

 And the question was
> raised by HL Anya "what do we do?" , "what do I do?" about such behavior.

Any member, or adult, has the right to tell any other member if
something is not appropriate at the time or place.  Perhaps next time in
seeing a situation you do not approve of you should quietly remind those
involved of where they are and that they should go to a more private
place and perhaps another time if warranted to let tempers settle a
little

Alrek