ANST - Re: Why am I playing this game

D Arrington strmridr at my-deja.com
Sun Jun 6 22:51:30 PDT 1999

On Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:18:36   Gail P. Taylor wrote:
<SNIP>

>However...it is also a cry from a person who has been overcome with
>disillusionment over of an incident where some fallible human beings failed to
>live up to her standards of what Peers or SCA members should be.   I chose to
>address this issue.

Maybe that's one of the biggest parts of the issue.  Exactly (and I mean EXACTLY) what ARE the standards for being elevated to the peerage?  The ability to make something pretty?  The fortitude to withstand mounds of paperwork?  The ability to whup tail on the listfield and become king??  Maybe it's time to write down the standards and (here it comes, look out!) start sticking to them.  Probably should be some standards of conduct in there as well, and consequences for violating them.  Elevating one to peerage is something I HOPE is not done lightly, and the one elevated must remember at all times who they are - these are the defining moments in a life.  If peerage means so little to you that you forget it, even for a moment, then perhaps you really don't deserve it.  You're supposed to be the example, and in our case a living example.  In my mundane life, I have to live up to a standard of conduct EVERY DAY.  It's not easy, and sometimes it isn't fun.  But I do it, simply because I've chosen to accept this way of life.  If I remember correctly, people who are considered for peerage are ASKED if they would like to accept the order.  Sound similar?  If you don't want to accept the responsibility that comes with the award and title, you're free to refuse it.

Thorgrim
85 days left on an 8 year voyage

"Madness, in great ones, must not unwatched go."
      - Shakespeare