ANST - Re: Why am I playing this game

Eirik eirik at n-link.com
Mon Jun 7 06:55:47 PDT 1999

>Maybe it's time to write down the standards and (here it comes, look out!)
start sticking to them.  Probably >should be some standards of conduct in
there as well, and consequences for violating them.

Even the military has a Code of Conduct that members are expected to know
and abide by. However, enforcement is left to the individual commanders.
Having a standard of conduct and enforcing it may be two different matters.
If the lady in the original matter wishes to bring the conduct to the
attention of someone in the local chain of command, i.e. the seneschal, then
after investigation of the incident; some action may be justified.
However, if she does nothing or decides to approach the individuals on a
one-to-one basis; there is not much official action that could be taken.
There are official channels and actions that can be taken if the matter or
similar matters are brought to the attention of an officer of the group
involved. Sometimes it is the impression that Peers can do no wrong or that
if they do it will be covered up that can cause situations like this to be
ignored or nothing reported to someone that can do something about it. I
would hope that the lady involved in this situation would report the
situation to someone that can ask the Peers involved about what happened and
then do something if they did act dishonorably.
       I have played in the SCA for the last ten years and I have seen a
major decline in the way honor is displayed off the field. I have watched
ladies go by gentlemen, Peers and non-Peers, carrying heavy items and the
gentlemen just ignored them. Ten years ago, a lady was not allowed to carry
anything execpt their personal pouches. I have seen people walk by others
and not say a word to them. Even if you do not like someone, common
courtisey is honor.

Eirik