ANST - need for kings

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Jun 23 14:20:02 PDT 1999

Good Afternoon,

I have remained quiet on this issue because others more eloquent than
I have given some wonderful responses that I hope have put some fears
and questions to rest.

But I do feel that the following comments really do need to be addressed
by someone who has sat in the "Big Chair".

> let's face it folk. the king is just a focal point. the flag the troops
> rally under. the shiny armour we hold up and aspire to fill. the king is the
> one we endow with all the ideals of the game. we want them to perfect. just
> like it was back then.

The Crown's job and note that I said "Crown" instead of "King" for Sara and I
rule jointly, she's better at some things and I'm better at others, is
certainly to
be a focal point and to try to be an inspiration. Believe me that job is
difficult
enough. But there is far more to being Crown than sitting in Court and being
an example to everyone.

> but it's the seneshals who do all the work. they sign all the checks. they
> answer all the questions. they write all the reports. they are the ones
> responceble for everything.

The Seneschal is a very important role and a lot of work. But who do you think
reads those reports, not just from the Seneschal but from the Treasurer, the
Herald,
the Minister of Arts and Sciences, newsletters from every group, award
recommendations
from everyone, Court Reports, etc...

The Crown reads reports, approves or disapproves funds, changes law if
necessary,
decides rewards, investigates wrongdoings, fixes problems, and talks with
everybody.

The Crown travels nearly every weekend even when they would far rather stay
home
for once and be couch potatoes. From the moment the Crown leaves their tent in
the
morning (sometimes before then) they must be "on" for everybody. Crowns are
always
in conversation with someone. I've gone to bed at events far more exhausted
than when
I was fighting.

I do admit that it looks pretty easy sitting under a pavillion watching a list
and eating
a free lunch. It's also a kick doing Court. But try tap-dancing around a
mistake like
forgetting the Peers to speak in a Peerage ceremony and having to cover it
without
letting everyone know and/or ruining one of the most important events in
someone's
life.

> so does it matter who is king. no. we need a king to keep the dream alive.
> but it's the seneshal who makes it all run right.

You are correct in that it really doesn't matter who is King. A good Seneschal
will be
able to smooth most of the mistakes of a really bad Crown. But please remember
that
it is the Crown who takes the heat for any decision made. And all of this with
practically
no training or expirience.  Like most nearly random events, you pays yer money,
you takes
yer chances. Sometimes the Crown becomes that shining example you refer to and
most
times you get two human beings who really don't know what's going on. And, yes,
they
do rely a great deal on their Peers and Officers to help.

> don't get me wrong. i have nothing but respect for the status quo. if i were
> a heavy fighter i'd want to be king. heck, i don't fight heavy and i still
> want to be king.

Being King is wonderful, in spite of all I just said. But most of the
"wonderfulness" is
intangible. Being the center of attention is nice for awhile, getting in on all
of the stuff
going on is fun, people doing your bidding is a big kick.  You get goodies if
people like
you. Free lunch and dinner. You get to affect so many people's SCA lives. You
get a
snazzy hat when you step down.

> but that doesn't change the fact it's the seneshal with the real power. just
> like it was back then.

Really? I'm sorry but I must disagree. The Seneschal has an important office
but if the
Crown does not wish to carry out what the Seneschal desires, it doesn't happen.
If the
Crown is displeased with that Seneschal the Seneschal is out of a job. Not
vice-versa.
The Seneschal usually has a longer term but it is still an office. A good
Seneschal and
a good Crown work as a team to keep the kingdom running smoothly.

Please forgive this lecture but many people seem to forget the hidden aspect of
being Crown.
I have been told a couple of times that we have been lucky becuase this has
been a quiet
reign. These people often have no idea of the fact this has been a quiet reign
because we
have done our best to correct problems before they became Kingdom issues. It is
very
hard work to have a "quiet" reign with no problems. But just because the
ravening hordes
are not at our gates does not mean that all we have done is sit around and be
shining
examples of SCAhood.

And please, before you feel that this is an attack or something, note that I
felt much the
same as you. Even with hanging around Crowns, and having been a Peer for nearly
10
years there was still a lot that I didn't know.  Remember, to be a "shining
example" you
need a lot of polish and elbow grease.

Yours,

Gunthar