ANST - limits on reigns

Tim Lozos timden at lcc.net
Wed Jun 23 20:27:11 PDT 1999

Greetings!

The Warrior baroness askes....
>Aren't there other requirements, such as paid membership and the holding of
>a warrantable office for a proscribed length of time, for both Crown and
>Consort?  I remember when the last one was added.

Here's the offical scoop.....

Section 5: Requirements for Entry into the Crown Lists

   1.Members of the Crown may not enter the Crown Lists during their Reign.
   2.Formal proof of membership shall be verified by the Kingdom Seneschal
or his representative at the site of the Crown Lists by means of a roster of
paid members of the Society, for every fighter and consort entering the
Crown Lists. Both shall be members of the Society with immediate access to
the Black Star.
   3.Any competitor in the Crown Lists must make known to the Crown the
identity of his/her prospective consort.
   4.Any person entering the Crown Lists as a fighter and/or potential
consort must be acceptable to the Crown, must be of legal age in the state
in which he/she will reside and must, at the pleasure of the Crown, meet the
following requirements:
        1.He/she must have lived within the boundaries of the Kingdom for
the previous calendar year;
        2.He/she must have served in an administrative office(s) of the
Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. ., or its equivalent, for at least a
total of one (1) year.
        3.He/she must be able to exhibit a good working knowledge of SCA
structure, Kingdom structure, the powers and responsibilities of the Crown,
and other major Kingdom offices as defined in the Corpora and Kingdom Law;
        4.He/she shall display a demeanor and appearance suitable to being a
Sovereign or Consort.
        5.Each entrant into the Crown Lists must bear the favor of a person
of the opposite gender as potential consort. Each prospective consort may
bestow his/her favor unto a single entrant into the Crown Lists.
   5.In addition, any person entering the Crown Lists and his/her
prospective consort must assure the following capabilities to the
     Crown:
        1.Sufficient income to support the office of the Crown;
        2.A means of rapid and regular communication;
        3.A dependable means of transportation;
        4.Sufficient assurance that he/she shall remain within the Kingdom
for the next nine (9) months.
   6.In addition, any person entering the Crown Lists as a combatant:
        1.Must have at least one (I) year's fighting experience.
        2.Must have a member of the Chivalry speak for him/her prior to the
Crown Lists.
        3.Must have current fighter authorization and not be on
probation/suspension within the Marshallette.
   7.Any fighter entering the Crown Lists shall swear the following oath in
the presence of the Crown of Ansteorra:

(oath snipped)

the Crown can waive any of these requirements if They so choose, except the
membership one.

It's really not a lot of requirements. In fact, I was wondering what we
could do to increase participation in Crown. We usually have 25-30 entrants.
The West has regularly over a hundred. Atenveldt, the Midrelam, the East, I
have all heard have much larger Crown tourneys than we do.

Isnt Ansteorran Crown a "good" thing?

Timo