ANST - Sniping in Classes

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Thu Jun 24 20:50:22 PDT 1999

Greetings and Hi there,

Handling a "snipper" depends on what kind of class you are teaching.  If
it's an open forum, you can make the "snipper" work for you.  Ask him
questions that leads into what you want to talk about.

If it's a more structured situation, perhaps with a time limit such as a 55
minute class, you'll want to slam the door on the "snipper" before he gets
started.  It's a bit formal, but the following works well.  Good morning, Hi
there, greetings or whatever opening you feel comfortable with.  A quick
joke to break the ice is optional, but not a bad idea.  I'm Lord Watchit and
for about the next 45 minutes I'm going to show you techniques in underwater
basket weaving.  I have a lot to show you and not much time.  I have saved
10 minutes at the end of the class for you questions and comments.  Please
save your questions till then.  Alright then...and into the class you go.

What if Lord Wantstoknowitallrightnow asked about something you're going to
cover in about ten minutes?  You can say, "That's a good question.  Hold
that thought, we'll be there in just a moment." Or perhaps, "That's an
interesting point; however, I hadn't planned on discussing that in this
class.  I'll be happy to talk to you about after the class."  Then again,
don't be affraid to let a question remind you of a point you forgot to
cover.

If it's a longer class, a few side discussion may add to the learning.  If
*you* have the time, *you* might allow questions during the discussion.  I
would only recommend doing this if time is little or no factor and *you* are
well prepared.

For a beginner instructor, it's important that the students feel like you
know what you're talking about.  This can be done by proper preparation.
Know your subject and practice, practice, practice your presentation.

Anyone who wishes help in preparing or how to give a class, please feel free
to ask.

Gilli
Instructor, III corps Battle Simulation Center, Fort Hood, TX