ANST - Louisiana Speeding Ticket

Quest Quest at 1starnet.com
Tue Mar 9 10:19:45 PST 1999

I would like to add two things to Christian's comments.  In most
states, your old drivers license will be run through the system before
a new license is issued.  If you have unpaid tickets or you are behind
in court-ordered payments such as child support, the state will not
issue a new license until you clear the debt.  I know Texas and
Colorado do this.  (They also both show your previous DL# on your new
license.)

Second, on top of bench warrants and such, your friend will likely
also pay collection charges and late fees.  I don't know about
Louisiana, but I know several cities in Texas hand their uncollectable
tickets over to collection agencies (usually "law firms" who tack on
$200-$500 in "legal fees").

In an example very close to home, a fellow received a $40 ticket,
forgot about it, and a year later, ended up in jail for the night.  It
cost him over $600 to get out of jail, including all the various
fees... and $350 of that were "legal fees" tacked on by the collection
agency.  Yes, he had to pay it *all* to get out of jail.

Remember, too, that your social security number is associated with
your drivers license file, and the social security number is one of
the fastest, easiest ways to do a skip trace.  No matter where your
friend moves, if he expects to continue working, his social security
number will make him easy to find.

All things considered, your friend is well-advised to just pay the
ticket and have it done.  As Morgan pointed out, there is really no
getting around it in the long run.  the question becomes, "How *much*
does he want to pay for this ticket?"

~ Aine Inghean ui Egerton