ANST - Boffer Combat Thoughts

Sean Bartholome okami69 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 15:08:06 PST 1999

>Who says they should be 'training' for any particular form of fighting?

A very good question?

>Shouldn't we have a second track that gradually leads to rapier if
we're
>going to have one that leads to chiv.?  [This would be possible to do
since
>shorter blades and smaller masks are made for children as young as age
5.
>And afterall, a little kid is going to want to do what mommy or daddy
is
>doing.]

I wouldn't advocate, nor would I think any one else would, want to
consider the use of fencing for young children.  Which I have experience
on as well.  But with all of the problems the SCA has had trying to get
Rapier combat standardized, and approved...it would be a hell of a fight
to get it done for smalls.

>What about a third track of 'true boffer' (no rigid weapons at all)?
>
>Will there be an adult 'true boffer' track as well?

When you mean rigid, I assume you mean, more like rattan?  A well made
boffer will have a core, but I would call it far from being 'rigid' or
even solid.

>-------
>I think we need to back up and look at the intentions of the entire
boffer
>program:
>
>Are we trying to implement a gradual training program?
>    - If so, would it be for one combat form, several tracks,
>    or a neutral form with cross-applications?
>    - If not, then why is there a gradual escalation of armor
>    requirements and rigid weapons in the rules?
>
>Are we trying to develop a safe game for children that is similiar to
what
>the adults are playing?  or Are we trying to develop a safe game where
not
>as much armor needs to be worn and adults as well as children can play
>(just split in
>different age groups but with the same rules)?
>
>Do we want the children to learn values or combat techniques?
>    - What values do we want them to learn at what ages?
>    (The rules of their lists should reflect these values.)
>    - What specific combat techniques are appropriate for a
>    neutral combat form program and at what ages should they
>    be introduced?

I agree with you whole heartily.  My support for this program, is not to
provide new soldiers for the Ansteorrian Army.  This is to allow the
kids to enjoy an activity similar to what their parents are doing.  Kids
always like to imitate their parents...this gives them that chance.  Any
armor requirements should be for safety reasons.  If none is need they
shouldn't have to wear any.

As for a 'rapier' track.  I'm sure a sutable boffer like 'rapier' could
be constructed for certain youths to experience that form of fighting.

Yours in service,

Sabishii Okami
(Steppes)