ANST - Boffer Combat Thoughts

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 15:22:35 PST 1999

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Adela responds to my--
>Second, I want these kids trained to switch to rattan at 18, so
>>> I think their rules should gradually come more into conformance the
>>> older they get.

with:

>Who says they should be 'training' for any particular form of fighting?

Obviously, dear lady, I do--but I'm not the only one.  The whole point
of this endeavor was to allow youngsters to safely engage in armored
combat.  Part of the rationale is that this allows an easier transition,
should they desire to remain in the SCA and engage in adult armored
combat, upon reaching their majority.

>Shouldn't we have a second track that gradually leads to rapier if
we're
>going to have one that leads to chiv.?  [This would be possible to do
since
>shorter blades and smaller masks are made for children as young as age
5.
>And after all, a little kid is going to want to do what mommy or daddy
is
>doing.]

I have no objection to this, but the boffer rules for children were
written up along armored combat guidelines with a distinctly armored
combat thrust.  If you would like to start a junior rapier circuit, feel
free.  As you note, however, children's fencing gear is already
available.  I can see no reason to use boffers for junior fencing.
Fencing with boffers would be rather like knitting with baseball bats.

>What about a third track of 'true boffer' (no rigid weapons at all)?
>
>Will there be an adult 'true boffer' track as well?

I have no interest in this whatsoever.  Amtgard and HFS already offer
such outlets for adults who want to engage in boffer combat.

>-------
>I think we need to back up and look at the intentions of the entire
boffer
>program:

I respectfully disagree. Those of us who have fought for this program
know exactly what we're trying to do.

>Are we trying to implement a gradual training program?
>	- If so, would it be for one combat form, several tracks,
>	or a neutral form with cross-applications?

I think I've already answered this question.

>Are we trying to develop a safe game for children that is similar to
what
>the adults are playing?  or Are we trying to develop a safe game where
not
>as much armor needs to be worn and adults as well as children can play
>(just split in
>different age groups but with the same rules)?

We are trying to accomplish the former.  Note that the rules Sir Kief
posted do not address adults.

>Do we want the children to learn values or combat techniques?

Yes.

>	- What values do we want them to learn at what ages?

The values taught in the martial arts do not vary with age.  The answer
to this question is too long to address in a brief missive.

>	(The rules of their lists should reflect these values.)

I agree.  I have addressed this issue with the marshallate and asked
that our rules be revised to reflect such a philosophy.

>	- What specific combat techniques are appropriate for a
>	neutral combat form program and at what ages should they
>	be introduced?

This brings up two issues.  First, as to what techniques at what age,
only time and experience will tell.  I imagine the six-year-olds will do
a lot of whacking and flailing, and the older children will gradually
develop a degree of finesse.
Second, thus far, you're the only one I've heard address this topic of
"neutral combat forms" (which I don't believe are a possibility anyway).
As I noted previously, the children's boffer rules were envisioned with
the goal of allowing children to take part safely in armored combat.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand my position on this, so let me
restate two points:

1)  I have no objections to a children's rapier circuit--in fact, I
think it would be a splendid idea--but these rules are not written to
account for such a circuit.  If anyone has an interest in starting a
children's rapier circuit, they should take the initiative to research
the matter and write a set of rules.

2)  I have no objection to adults fighting with boffers, but I think I
can safely say the marshallate has no interest in formulating and
adjudicating such a venue.  They already have their hands full with
armored combat, rapier combat, combat archery, and seige weaponry.  For
that reason, Amtgard, HFS, and other similar organizations remain the
groups of choice for adults who wish to take part in boffer fighting.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace