ANST - Officers....

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Sun May 23 06:54:45 PDT 1999

Alrek said something that sounded like:
> Newer ofiicers do not drop out because they think that someone can do
> their office better

There is a problem that I keep seeing over and over that is related to
this. It even came up on the Coastal regional list recently.

The problem is that many people will not apply for offices because they
feel that there is someone out there better than them for the office.
This causes many problems including:

1) A small pool of people to draw officers from. The same people keep
   volunteering over and over again and getting offices since they are
   often the only applicant. This can cause burn-out in some individuals,
   which is an unfortunate thing.
2) Many very competent people who have not yet held an office are not
   getting the experience they could use to help make the Society better.
   It doesn't take much previous experience for most offices, and it
   will teach you wonderful things about the workings of the Society. As
   well, it is a good way to give back something to this game we all
   enjoy.

How do we get over this?

As individuals we decide to hell with it, jump up, ask questions, and
apply. This is what Steafan (sp?) did recently on the Coastal list and
I was very glad to see him do it, as were others.

I do not know how we address it as a group though.

Ciao,