ANST - [Fwd: RN- Gulf War date corrections]

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Thu May 27 06:21:41 PDT 1999

Greetings, my Good and True cousins all:

The question has been raised, "Among the universities in the three sponsoring
kingdoms of Gulf Wars, what are the dates for Spring Break?" In an attempt to
make an end to conjecture and speculation, I consulted the virtual scribes of
the known world (i.e., I did a little checking on the Web :-).

I checked a number of institutions of higher learning in Texas and Oklahoma (our
fair kingdom of Ansteorra). I didn't try to find colleges that match a
particular date, I simply looked up some of the larger universities. Every one
of them shares a common Spring Break week, March 12-18.

I also checked several universities in Lousiana, Mississippi, and Florida
(Meridies and Trimaris). Again, I didn't try to make a comprehensive search,
merely to get an idea of what some of the larger colleges are doing. There is no
consistent pattern I could discern. Although several have no classes the week of
Mardi Gras, Spring Break is observed anytime from March 5 through March 26, if
at all. (Louisian Tech (Ruston, LA) doesn't observe a Spring Break.)

Here is what I learned:

March 5-11 (Mardi Gras week in New Orleans)
- Florida State University (Tallahasee, FL)
- Mississippi State University (Starkville, MS)
- Tulane (New Orleans, LA)

March 12-18
- North Texas State University (Denton, TX)
- University of Houston (Houston, TX)
- University of Texas (Austin, TX)
- Texas A&M University (College Station, TX)
- Oklahoma State University (Tulsa, OK)
- University of Oklahoma (Norman/Oklahoma City, OK)

March 26 - April 1
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge, LA)

For those who wish to check my work or add other universities to this list, I
used the Infoseek search service, "GO Web Sites > Education > Colleges &
universities > U.S. Colleges". From there you can select any state, then follow
the links to the universities. (No, I don't have any interest in Infoseek. But I
*do* like their search engine. :-)

While I acknowledge that the wishes of the Gulf Wars site owner should carry
much weight, I think it would be a shame to ignore the fact that *every*
Ansteorran university I checked observes their Spring Break on the original
dates for Gulf Wars 2000: March 12-18. On the other hand, I also notice that
*none* of the Meridien and Trimarian universities I checked take Spring Break
during that week. It is clearly not possible to please everyone.

In knowledge, there is strength. May the planners of Gulf Wars 2000 be well
fortified! I'm sure they will do their best to steward this event we all love so well.

Yours in service,
Michael Silverhands, Baron of Stargate, Ansteorra