ANST - purse ... clothing vs garb

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Mon Nov 22 19:18:38 PST 1999

On 22 Nov 99, at 17:44, Robert Singleton wrote:

> I, for one, have been dressed in garb in many places and situations and
> I recall no experience that I would term "negative attention".
>
> At Sunday morning breakfast at at Gothic War this year, there were
> overheard comments to the effect of "what a sight to wake up to!", in a
> context implying that our brightly colored garb might be tough on the
> eyes of the average hang over victim. Was that negative? Not in my eyes.

ahhh, but we speak of "inside" vs "outside"  .. what is appropriate for one is
not necessarily appropriate for another.  this one grew up in previous time
when i learned the lessons of keeping a low profile to not attract too much
incoming fire (on *many* levels) without totally bunkering down  .. and while
it does not dictate my life, the lessons learned temper it ... as any anthro
student understand, it is best to reasonably blend into the culture you are
interacting with and/or studying .... be it mundanes or scadian.

in my particular case, i am lucky .. raised and living a a "hippy", "biker",
"comp tech" ... i have had to learn to live and navigate the "between places"
which teach you to blend without conforming ..probably one reason i enjoy
things scadian - it's a culture that tries to thrive "between".

> ... His contention was that the middle ages man would not have to hide his
> wallet, pager and keys, so would not carry a pouch.

they would have carried their equivalents in that pouch .. same as i carry my
equivalents in my side bag - aka: the purse

lets see whats in there today ... basic abrasion & sinus centric med kit,
wallet (when not on belt), checkbook, gloves & suitable riding gear (ridera,
remember), pair of bingee cords, eye shades and/or goggles (riding protection),
contact lens kit w/spare lens and glasses, pocket tools & flashlight, caemex &
tiger balm, combination corkscrew & bottle opener, eating utensil set,
refillable lighter & backup matches, hair brush (gotta keep the mane
controlled), a bandana or two, a personal kit (never know when you need to
brush teeth, replacement hair ties, take a wash, shave, or trim the facial
hair), handcuffs & mace (holdovers from my security day .. (g)), condoms
(carried since i became sexually active back in the mid 70's ...always careful
about these things), notebook & pens / mech pencils (w/spare ink), compass &
thermometer, cell phone, pda (a new addition), sometime a camera, and whatever
i'm reading at the moment, spiked massage ball (*thats* where it went to hide!)
  ...  geesh, never took inventory before, must have been a boy scout in
earlier life (grin)

simply a addition of a reasonable carry item to life-situation - like adding
the waist belt when wearing sweats with no pockets (personally, i hate carrying
things in pockets save wallet & keys chained to belt).  all in all, about the
same class kit my ancestors would have been carrying - the tools needed for
daily life.

all in all a female friend said it best ... you have to be a real man to carry
a purse (g)

'wolf

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)