ANST - Kingdom membership

jonwillowpel at juno.com jonwillowpel at juno.com
Wed Feb 16 14:42:44 PST 2000

Duchess Larissa  does have a point but I am one of those members who
refused to pay my national due for three years because of the "pay to
Play". I also personally know of 5 people, who were members of the SCA,
who have dropped out of the SCA because of the "Pay to Play".

I spent a lot of money on stuff for the SCA. My wall hanging are not
supported by any group. The ones stolen from me at the gulf war from the
royal pavilion were not reimbursed. The prizes I give are not provided to
me out of the site fees.  The torches, torch fuel  and rugs I have put
out for bardic and dance events come from my pocket book. I am not paid
for the time or gas I spend going places to teach or entertain. I, by my
self, am worth hundreds of dollars to the SCA each year. I would bet each
one of us that goes and supports our events are also worth a goodly
amount to the local SCA. Is is worth 35 dollars a year or 2 dollars an
event to upset us. Isn't that a lot like killing the golden goose.

You may say "why should that upset you?"  I have brought a goodly number
of new people to events over the years and I have paid to get them in.
Two dollars isn't much but it adds up. Also I am ashamed to say to a
potential member. Please come to this event but you are going to have to
pay more because you are not one of us. Lots of groups  give discounts to
new members but we just punish them and push them away.

Membership gives us a say in the organization. It allows us to hold
office, pick baron/ess, autocrat  an event , and fight in crown. It gives
us a voice. It shows a true commitment to the organization. If we want to
increase membership we need to get more of our people involved.  We need
to stress the advantages of membership. Usually people are not sure that
they want to get that involved at first. Getting into the SCA involves a
lot  of money at first. After a person has been playing for a year or two
then they want to help shape the organization. Becoming a national member
is the first step in becoming involved. If it was apparent that a say in
the organization went with being a member I believe that more people
would join. I do not mean democracy (heaven forbid). I just mean having
your opinions listened to.

Yours Willow