ANST - SCA PEERS

okrabbit at home.com okrabbit at home.com
Wed Jun 21 15:18:22 PDT 2000

I believe that your perceptions might have been misinterpreted M'lady.

I  am Sir Alrek Kanin, Knight of Ansteorra and the SCA.  Yes there is more that
goes into being a knight than being able to hit with a big stick.  A Knight has
the responsibility of Courtesy and Chivalry, sometimes in extreme circumstances,
upholding what is right in deed and word, and showing the beauty of a skilled
combatant on the field.  A Knight should not be viewed as a higher rank than
Pelicans or Laurels that is why they are called peers, it is an equal thing
among the groups.  Your views might have been swayed in that the majority of the
Royal Family are Knights, but some of those are Laurels and Pelicans also.
There is not, to my knowledge, a crown winning member of the Royal Family who is
not a knight though, and your perception of  "level in ranking" might stem from
a member of the royal family whom we as Ansteorrans hold in high regard...except
for one but he left.  When a Laurel or Pelican is made in this Kingdom a member
of each of the peerages speaks for them and announces that they are a peer.  I,
as a Knight, uphold that every member in the ranks of peerages is my equal.
They might not be my equal on the field, though some are, but this says that
they have given their heart and soul to the SCA and been recognized by the crown
for their efforts.  The way that they have given their heart and soul is
irrelevant.

Thank you for the question,
Alrek