ANST - Celtic History Question

Spatsman at aol.com Spatsman at aol.com
Thu Mar 15 11:23:05 PST 2001

In a message dated 3/15/01 12:45:10 PM Central Standard Time,
maria_elfsea at hotmail.com writes:

<< Why did they think we were doing Anglo/Saxon? I think because they are
just
 misinformed about that time period (the Medievil/Rennasaince period that we
 study). I'm afraid that many people who saw "Braveheart" (and I used to be
 one) believe that all people Scottish and Irish people wore kilts and fought
 with sticks and stones.  The arts that were presented were primarily
 "Celtic" looking (knotwork, bone carvings, etc).

 Personally, I think we did an excellent job.

 Maria >>
I agree, it sounds like you may be dealing with ignorance or modern
misconceptions if the tunic/cloak (or leine/brat) look was thought of as
Anglo-Saxon. The use of chainmail or ringmail is mentioned in the document I
quoted, yet many people think of that as a Norman look, and it is heavily
associated with the early Crusades.
I don't know if this is good news or not, as I have little faith in the
entertainment industry, but it is worth noting that a movie is in production
in Ireland at this moment that chronicles the life of Brian Boru and the
Battle of Clontarf.
That this film will be brimming with inaccuracy I don't doubt, but the
production teams have stated that much research has been done dealing with
Irish, Danish and Norse clothing and armor from that era. They actually used
the phrase "no kilts", so who knows? This film may actually help to dispell
at least a few of the myths surrounding early Irish fashion.
Of course, with my luck, they'll dress the Irish in Elizabethan era leines
with huge baggy sleeves and ring-hilted swords, like Durer's illustrations.
I'd personally dress a medieval Irish warrior in a cotun or a leine with
either a thick leather inar(jacket) or a chainmail shirt over it, with a
cone-shaped helmet and a round/oval sheild.
I would also HIGHLY recommend the following url

http://www47.pair.com/lindo/Textiles_Page.htm

As for the Gauls that fought Caeser in the nude, most scholars seem to think
that only about 40%-50% of the military Gallic forces dressed in little more
then a torc and woad.
So, yeah, they fought nude, sometimes. But the custom had died out and
recieves no further mention once the early christian era had started.
~Fionnagan