[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Cliquishness....

lisabetta lisabetta at ansteorra.net
Wed Apr 24 13:00:07 PDT 2002

I agree with this, and I am very lucky for a I am in a wonderful canton
where everyone is willing to help.
Two Weeks ago at AOB, everyone in our group was trying to get it set up
Friday afternoon. I wanted to get the tent setup before dark for I would be
at Gate rest of the evening. I have yet to put this tent up bymyself.
My 4 year old tells me, Mommy I'll help you. Let me tell you that 4 year old
was so wonderful. He did a lot of putting the poles together and holding
them while I lifted the tent and put the poles in the ground. He was so
dirty, BUT he felt so pleased with himself afterward. I had never before
thought of getting him to do anything wit the tent ( he helps with the car
and an getting his stuff setup normally) He went and told everyone that he
setup the tent and it was very precious of him....
now with that said, a few months back I went to a barony event in the barony
north of ours, Had a brand new tent never set it up it was huge. I unpacked
it laid it out realized that there was no way I could do this with my back.
There were two camps of men sitting within 100 yards of me, I went to both
and asked for help an hour later I am still waiting I ask again still
nothing. I asked the event autocrat if he could get me some help he said yes
still no one I finally bit the bullet and did what I cold to get it up. it
too me almost an hour and a half and in the time I was actually doing over
17 men passed by and none of them offered...
I was very insulted by this, and have pretty much decided not to camp at
this site anymore. I only live 28 miles from it and that is my solution.
I have been in 21 years, and yes I have seen the decline in common courtesy
that we as a whole society used to have. But perhaps some of that is because
of the mundane society we live in now.

bett