[Ansteorra] Which brings us to...

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Thu May 9 08:49:17 PDT 2002

"J.G. Bretz" wrote:

> If I go to an event that is not my local event...I assume that
> the teardown is taken care of.  I feel I am a guest.  I find
> that we need to only ask.  I think most people assume things
> are arranged previous.  If not...one needs only ask.  I would
> never presume to tear down someone's setup as a matter of course.

I don't go in and start teardown, BUT I have been to too many events where the locals all evaporate when it's time for cleanup.  They claim to have worked all day and are too tired to help, so sometimes the only people doing clean-up are the autocrats, and maybe the head cook.  That is COMPLETELY UNFAIR.  But it happens often and it happens in every Kingdom (at least, it has in most of the ones where I have lived or visited).  So I am often on the cleanup crew, even when it's not my group - or my own Kingdom.

Other groups assign people to arrival times and jobs so that you don't have someone there from 8:00am to 2:00am working.  Some people might arrive at noon, or later, so that they are fresher for the cleanup stages into the night.  This makes quite a bit of sense.

There is a problem when cleanup is the day after the event, or on the Sunday of a weekend event, because people simply disappear and do not return, or leave the site early.  On another list we are discussing codes of conduct, and I think a basic tenet would be living up to your promises.  If you say you are helping with cleanup, you show up and help.  Yes, sometimes a car breaks down or someone gets sick, but waking up tired or deciding to run all your errands first thereby arriving four hours late are NOT acceptable excuses.  Trust me, the autocrats and cooks are tired too!

Contrary to behaving as if I am a guest to be catered to, I will often offer to help with cleanup.  You don't have to make a production of it, but I have been around too many events, in too many kingdoms, for too many years, to EVER assume that there are enough people doing cleanup (and this goes for washing dishes after the feast, too).

                                   ---= Morgan

"Who sees all beings in his own Self, and his own Self in all beings,
 loses all fear."                          ---= Isa Upanishad