[Ansteorra] Fighting Crown "not to win"

Synrik synrik at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 08:39:34 PST 2003

I have heard it from others who have observed Crown tourneys for a while,
that there is normally two or three knights there at any given time, who's
sole purpose is to 'weed out' those whom they consider 'undeserving' or
'ill-equipted' to wear the crown.  I thought it was just due to the policy
that no un-belted fighter shall ever sit the thrown again.  But it seems
that it goes deeper than that.  By the time that the first fighter takes the
field, they know that the choice for the new crown is really only down to
two or three.

I'm not saying that the list is 'fixed', but it takes only the smallest of
'favors' to stack the deck against 3-4 fighters that really could take the
field.  I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but that it is just an
observation.

Some people fight in crown tourney just to ensure that the new crown is
worthy of the Sable Thrown.