[Ansteorra] Fighting Crown "not to win"

Burke McCrory burkemc at cox.net
Tue Jan 21 09:57:26 PST 2003

At 10:39 AM 1/21/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>I have heard it from others who have observed Crown tourneys for a while,
>that there is normally two or three knights there at any given time, who's
>sole purpose is to 'weed out' those whom they consider 'undeserving' or
>'ill-equipted' to wear the crown.  I thought it was just due to the policy
>that no un-belted fighter shall ever sit the thrown again.  But it seems
>that it goes deeper than that.  By the time that the first fighter takes the
>field, they know that the choice for the new crown is really only down to
>two or three.
>
>I'm not saying that the list is 'fixed', but it takes only the smallest of
>'favors' to stack the deck against 3-4 fighters that really could take the
>field.  I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but that it is just an
>observation.
>
>Some people fight in crown tourney just to ensure that the new crown is
>worthy of the Sable Thrown.

My Lord Gustav

You are very wrong in your assertion.  Yes, many times members of the
chivalry will enter the list to "assure" the quality of the list, I have
done so myself in the past.  And yes people have been known to try and help
a friend or household member win crown (usually without sucess).  But the
assertion that, as the list starts, it has already been narrowed down to a
few fighters is just plain silly.  Obviously those fighters that are the
hottest at the time of crown will be the favorites.  But I have seen in my
24 years in the SCA many an unexpected winner in Crown Tourney.  I have
seen many a favorite go down in the second or third round no matter who was
pulling for them or how hot they were.  Also it is not uncommon to have one
or two unbelted fighters make it to the third round or even the round
robin.  Our current King did that just a few crowns ago.  But I can assure
you that as Crown Tourney starts every fighter stepping on the field has
the same chance to win the day.  All you are required to do is best every
opponent in each round that you face.  Something that is easier said than done.

Oh, and by the way there is NO policy that an unbelted fighter cannot win
crown.  The facts are that we have so many belts in crown lists that an
unbelted fighter is usually not good enough to win.  But it can happen.

Sir Burke
(who has gotten close but never won a crown)