[Ansteorra] Award Query

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 28 22:38:52 PST 2003

Master Darius wrote:
> Including the Landed nobility (a limited point to be sure) that is 9
> different ways to
> receive a Grant of Arms currently in Ansteorra.
Oooh. Be the first in your group to collect ALL nine...

Yes, it is nice to be recognized but does it really need to be a formal
award?
I've got a Star of Merit, largely because of my efforts with the
Florilegium. But what has kept me doing it year after year has been the
many simple "thank you"s from folks around the Known World. And the
simple fact that most folks seem to consider it an honor to have their
work in the Florilegium. The simple fact that I know they find it
useful.

So, if you see someone doing something you appreciate, and I think this
could be expanded to groups, tell them that you appreciate their work.
If you would like to give them something, then do so. That something
doesn't have to be an official award. It can be something like the
silver rings which Master Cariadoc gives out or other largess. Drawing
a blank on what might be appropriate as largess? See this file in the
Florilegium:
largess-ideas-msg (51K) 11/30/00    Ideas for largess and gifts.
Royalty gifts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/largess-ideas-msg.html

See someone that has been laboring setting up the pavilions for an
event in the sun? Don't have any largess handy? Go to the trouble to
bring them a cold, refreshing drink and say thank you. Like many have
said, it is the thought that counts.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas