[Ansteorra] Questions 7/18

rachel luce rachel_luce1975 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 22:29:27 PDT 2004

--- L T <ldldeerslayerahoo.com> wrote:

> 1. What attracted you to the SCA
 To do something completely different from my hum-drum
mundane life (at the time I started I was balancing
work, college, and being a recently divorced single
mom.)Plus I've always loved the middle ages, my
favorite classes have always been in history.

> 2. What is your perspective of what the SCA to
> you?
It's my escape, it's my place to try out "useless"
skills and to learn about things I would not otherwise
be motivated to learn. It's also the one place I know
I can go and find people who accept me as I am, not as
I "should" be.

> 3. Where do you invest the most time and energy in
> the SCAhousehold, local group, kingdom, specific
> activity)

Local group and household, but my studies revolve
around  carving in horn,antler and bone,Byzantium ,and
sewing, spinning.

> 4. How long before you started to take initiative in
> the SCSCAapplying for an office, organizing an
> activity, etc.?)

My first event was ElElfseaefender in 1997 but my
first "big" effort was being fefeast stewardor RF
Defender in 2002.

> 5. Were there instances that could have "run you out
> of the SCSCA.why did they not...or why did you come
> back?

Yeah, there were.
I didn't get run out because there are lots of
different groups out there, plus it's a hobby. A lot
stuff peopel get riled up about is just not worth
arguing over. Tempests in a teacup never last long.I f
I don't want to deal then I can go play with another
group.

> 6. How long before you burned out? Why did you burn
> out? Is there anything anyone could have done to
> help keep you from "burning out"?

Can't really answer this.

> 7. What do you get out of the SCA?
An education, friends, fun times and good memories,
new skills, and a burning need for a better paying job
so I can do more A&S stuff.

> 8. If you have your AoA.how long did you get it
> after starting to participate in the SCA

If memory serves I think I got mine after being in for
2 1/2 years or 3 years. I can't rememberf I got mine
in 1999 or 2000.

> and last but not least...why do you think that
> people should join the SCAnd stay in it?

I've noticed  two reason consistently either they're
looking for a place where they feel they fit in and
they also happen to like the Middle Ages/ Renaissance
or  they get "recruited" by a friend and decide that
SCA is a fun hobby. Most people stay in because
they've made friends they want to keep seeing or
bebecause they genuinely enjoy our acactivities
                                -Xanthe