[Ansteorra] What has happened?

zubeydah at northkeep.org zubeydah at northkeep.org
Mon Oct 3 13:50:19 PDT 2005

... on the complaint of people not offering to help...

I have personally seen women at events get angry at men for opening doors, much
less taking initiative to pick up loads of stuff. I can easily imagine, then,
that there are also independant women who want to do their own setup, too (been
there, done that a few times). It may be, and here I am speculating, that *in
some cases*, people wait to be asked, because they don't want to get barked at.
I know there's been times I was stubbornly determined not to bother anyone with
my assorted 'stuff', and was lovingly told to sit down and direct and hush.
Sometimes friends brave the wrath of the unwisely independant. :-)

For myself, I've always found that when I knew there was lots I would need help
with, that bringing small gifts of chocolate and asking for help with the
promise of thanks and appreciation, instead of assuming it will be offered,
works better. Your mileage may vary.  [Milk Chocolate Truffles with Kahlua and
Cream seems to work wonders.]

Now, I can say without exaggeration that no sooner had I stepped out of my
vehicle at the recent Mooneschadowe Guardian, than I had a young gentleman (who
was later that day named as squire to Sieur Jean-Paul de Sens) offer to help.
His squire-brother appeared about 4 minutes later from the other side of the
event site, also gladly offering to help.  So chivalry is certainly not dead,
in any way, shape or form.

- in service,

Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyyah
Northern Region, Mooneschadowe Groupie