[Ansteorra] chivalry

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 07:29:27 PDT 2005

> I was once told that the reason "old timers" did not
> spend a lot of time with newcomers was because they
> were burned out teaching the newbees.

I'm not sure it is specifically teaching new people
that burns out the old timers.  I'd be more inclined
to say their burnout comes from other areas of the
game - areas that have nothing to do with the happy
task of meeting and teaching new folks.

This might come as a surprise to some, but I know of
quite a few long-time players who have actually been
told they need to "bow out and let the new generation
take over."  In the face of such appreciation, I'm not
surprised we lose some of them.

For those who aren't dismissed or fried to a crisp, it
is possible that they are just very busy and forget
about teaching.  Or maybe they don't have a clue what
they know that newcomers would appreciate learning.
Perhaps they just need to be asked. :) I've tried that
and seen it work wonders.  If nothing else it lets
them know their knowledge and experience are valued.

Kat MacLochlainn
Wiesenfeuer, Ansteorra