[Ansteorra] What has happened?

Miss Pict lady_pict2 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:55:01 PDT 2005

Hi,

I have seen it mentioned several times that trash bags should be given out
at an event. I feel the need to put in 2 cents here.

I am in a very small group. When we hold our Defender it is at a very
primitive site. (No water, porta-potties etc). We have a very limited budget
when putting together an outside event. We budget trash bags in and have
people who are responsible for emptying the trash barrels we have provided.
Let me say that over the past few years when doing clean up at our events I
have been  very impressed due to the lack of trash to be picked up. We
usually designate a satellite point for people to leave their trash at the
end of the event,and let them know where it is. And this works well for us.

I think that a number of people who attend events expect the site owners to
deal with the trash. That means they pick it up and empty the barrels. Heck
we pay them for that don’t we? That would be great if all sites were set up
that way. In my mind wrong, wrong, and may I say wrong. What some people do
not take into consideration is that in order to put on an event we sometimes
have to look for areas to cut cost. Maybe a very primitive site that does
not offer trash pick up.

I have always from day one been taught that you leave a site better than you
found it. I have picked up trash from previous people on a number of
occasions.

We all know that we will generate some sort of trash. Why not include a bag
or two when you pack? Help the autocrat and clean up party out.

I have also found that even if you offer some people trash bags they either
won’t take them or won’t use them. This is not all so please do not take it
that way.

Autocrats should always have trash bags available if people need them. Heck
we can’t always remember everything when we pack. I know I always forget
something.

So be proactive. Bring a bag or two for trash when you go to an event.

My 2 cents
Janie