[Ansteorra] just read the link

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 18 11:16:04 PST 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Bulgarelli Maria wrote:

> Unfortunately, Tyvor, stupidity is not legislatable.
> The issue of weapons in schools is legislatable.

Lady Maria,

If this were an issue of "(live) weapons *in* schools", I would agree
with you. But it isn't. It's an issue of "*pictures* of weapons[1] in
school *yearbooks*". They're using the "weapons in schools" rule to
enforce what is or is not permissible in school photos.

If they had a rule about "not glorifying violence" or some such, then
I could see the principal using that rule to defend his position. By
that same token, they would have to exclude images of anyone from
appearing in a martial arts gi, boxing uniform ... and probably
football uniform. Oh, and of course all images of the school mascot
(a rifle-toting "patriot").

But they don't, and they didn't.

And the principal didn't even forbid the picture to be in the
yearbook -- they could include it if they paid for ad space. So, in
my opinion this issue isn't about a reasonable (or even unreasonable)
rule being applied fairly. It's about a principal who didn't like the
picture, and grabbed a handy (albeit irrelevant) rule to try to
justify his decision.

And in this case, stupidity *is* controllable by the public, because
the principal of a public school is a public servant. If the people
he serves don't like the job he's doing -- and if they can convince
the school board to agree with them -- then they can have him removed
and hopefully someone less stupid put in his place.

Of course, this is all each of our opinions, which don't mean a hill
of beans in this case. Only the opinions of the local school board
where this happened will matter. But it's a good "wake up call" for
the rest of us to think about "Where is the line? What would I be
willing to fight for if it were *my* child?"

If nothing else, it's a fine example of why "home schooling" is on
the rise. :-/

Yours,
Michael

[1] Whether a theatrical prop reproduction broadsword is a "weapon"
is debatable. A sturdy mop in the right hands would probably be more
formidable (see "Coming To America" with Eddie Murphy for a funny
demonstration of the truth of that statement).