[Ansteorra] Cookies and merit badges

Lisa silvina at allegiance.tv
Tue May 23 08:03:36 PDT 2006

Regardless of what method is used to reward people for outstanding
performance, there are going to be those who abuse it.  If everything is
left up to the whim of the crown, people who deserve recognition but do not
"flaunt" themselves are not going to get recognition.  With a "merit badge"
system of sorts, the liklihood of those who don't tend to flaunt themselves
is a little greater for them to get recognition.  You do X, Y and Z and you
get this award or badge.  Unfortunately the down side to this setup has
already been discussed, the probability of certain people doing A, B, and C
to get award D, then dropping that activity to go to the next thing that
will get them an award.  Regardless of what method is used to recognise
ability, there are always going to be individuals who are going to abuse the
system, the goal is to attempt to limit the abuse as much as possible.

Elizabeta of Rundel