[Ansteorra] period on a budget

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 19 07:45:45 PDT 2006

Period or not, playing in the SCA costs money.

One key ingredient in making this hobby more economical is to focus your interests before you start buying a lot of stuff.  If something looks interesting to you, start by using loaner gear/equipment to see if it is something you are really serious about investing in.  From there, you can narrow down to a few things that really interest you, and not waste money buying stuff you'll put aside after a month.  This applies to garb too.  Don't outfit yourself head to toe in Tudor fashion and then decide you want to have a Mongolian persona.  Find a reasonable level of committment for what you want before you dive in.

Another element is making versus buying versus bartering.  Buying things outright will generally be the most expensive route.  Making things you need/want can be much more economical, and can be even moreso if you go in with a group on purchasing materials.  You don't need to buy a whole side of leather to make a few pieces of armor - so find someone who will go in with you on a side.  Bartering - not so much recommended to do with merchants, but numerous people craft.  I make mead.  John makes arrows.  I need arrows, and John likes mead.  We might be able to strike a bargain.  Also, never underestimate the power of service.  For one afternoon of field heralding, I was gifted a very nice wine glass with my arms etched on it.  Also, it's not uncommon that folks who volunteer to serve feast at events get fed.  It doesn't sound like much, but serve a few feasts instead of buying feast, and you've saved enough money to buy a couple yards of period fabric. ;)  Of course such
 payment for service should never be expected, or assumed, but it isn't unheard of to contract service with people either.  I contracted for a year to serve a Court Baroness in exchange for sewing lessons.

Also, you don't have to show up at your first event 100% period.  Start with a few main items (typically garb), and over time replace your more modern things and add additional period things.  And don't think you need to have a new outfit for every event, or garb specifically to wear during court.

Then there's upgrading.  I bought a $50 refurbished sewing machine to learn how to sew, so I could make garb.  When I decided that costuming was one of my serious interests, and I got to a point where I needed a bit more machine, I got a better sewing machine (and a serger).  I still have my old machine, which I may sell, keep as a backup, or loan to someone.  The point being, I didn't need to start with a machine will all the bells and whistles.  And when you upgrade to something better, you may be able to sell the first one to another newcomer.  You get some money back for it, and the newcomer gets to save some money in getting started.  Win-win!

These are just a few things to consider.

In service,
HL Alden Drake