[Ansteorra] Love and recognition

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 26 04:53:08 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

I question anyone's ability to determine another's true motives, much less
judge them.  I have a daughter, step-daughter, step-son, and foster daughter
who are all over 25. I still don't understand what motivates them. What are
the odds that I'll be able to determine the motives of a relative stranger.

Human beings are pattern seeking creatures. Since we can't find what we
consider rational explanations for the motives of others, we tend to write
stories in our heads that explain them satisfactorily to us. I believe this
story-writing technique is responsible for many of the unsavory traits we
ascribe to others. I see someone acting in a way that I don't understand,
and it might be explained if I assume that person is acting out of greed.
Before you know it, I've convinced myself that the other person is motivated
primarily by greed. Two years later I find myself refusing to trust that
individual because--for some reason--I know that he's greedy.

lo vostre per vos servir
Meser Lyonel
Micel yfel deth se unwritere.
		--AElfric of York