[Ansteorra] New Trend flyer apology

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Sat Mar 24 19:50:26 PDT 2007

To some extent what we do it not something that everyone will be able to do.
Camping for a week even in an area like Gulf Wars with limited electricity
and water is not possible for some of us. And as our events have gotten
bigger and have offered more and more activities, we have limited ourselves
to a very few sites in each area that can handle our group.

As to ADA, I am not a lawyer, but when the issue came up at Gulf War a
couple of years ago, it was determined that ADA did not apply to us as we
don't offer our events to the general public and we are a private club. Just
as you don't have to make your home meet ADA requirements, a private club
does not need to do so. Larry (the owner of the Gulf War site) does not have
to meet ADA because he also does not offer services to the general public
(at least at the campground). He only contracts with groups for their
members to use the grounds.

The staff of our events try very hard to accommodate everyone. But there
will always be some who are just not capable of camping with us at some
sites. It is a fact of life. But we have to choose sites that are attractive
to the most people and will be able to support the numbers of people and the
range of activities those people want to do. The ADA law requires those who
are covered by it to make a reasonable effort to accommodate people with
disabilities. It does not require them to make all activities available to
all people. That is not possible.

All that said, I want as many of my friends to enjoy all the events as can
find a way to enjoy them. And many, many have found it possible to enjoy
Gulf War with medical issues. I will do what I can to help them.

Caelin on Andrede