[Ansteorra] SCA, the ADA, and all of us

Dave Wise drwise at houston.rr.com
Sun Mar 25 13:41:33 PDT 2007

It is always impressive to see how quick some folks are to spend other
people's money while demanding their 'rights'.  As Niklas points out, if
you want to know what is, or is not, required, I would recommend going
to the sources.  In this case, there is the originating law, the
regulations and relevant court decisions.  As a practicing attorney, I
can tell you that the ADA does not ''guarantee equal access and equal
enjoyment"  However, rather than carrying on about someone's opinion as
to what may be 'required', if folks are that interested in having
facilities to their liking, then perhaps their passion  and energy
should be directed towards autocratting events that cater to their
preferences.  Alternatively, that same energy could be spent on making
improvements to the sites that have historically been used for SCA
events.  I would think that any property owner who has had dealings with
the SCA would be far more responsive to an offer to improve the
property, rather than threats over their 'non-compliance with the law'.
Such an approach respects their rights as property owners and makes us
the gracious guests we would like to be known as.  Surely, that go much
farther in keeping site available for our future use.

Alexis