[Ansteorra] Gulf Wars Profits

Burke McCrory burkemc at cox.net
Mon Mar 26 19:19:26 PDT 2007

I would remind everyone that Kings Arrow Ranch is NOT an SCA ONLY
site.  They have a large number of other activities there throughout
the year.  So the improvements like paved (or Gravel) roads may not
be appropriate for these other activities.  I know that at one time
they had a number of dud ranch activities and as a former horse owner
I can tell you that gravel roads are not better than dirt.  We us
this site for 10 days per year for Gulf Wars, I doubt that any other
group takes up the whole site for any other event, so some of the
improvements you are talking about would only be used sparingly
except for gulf wars.  Also everyone should understand that the owner
has a fairly large overhead during gulf wars.  We use lots of water
and electricity all included in the cost of our gate.  They are
constantly repairing the bath houses and  the toilets.  In past I
have seen us break water mains and overload electrical systems with
no one being charged for the repairs.  All and all Larry does a very
good job of handling a small town that shows up once a year.  We pay
$50 or 8 days, that works out to 6.25 per day.  I would speculate
that each of use uses at least $6 of services per day.  While it is
not perfect and we should always look for ways to make it better,
Gulf Wars is still one of the best sites and events of its kind in the SCA.

Sir Burke