[Ansteorra] Vigils for White Scarves

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon May 7 11:44:20 PDT 2007

Sir Lyonel asked:

> An interesting thread was initiated on the SCA Chivalry list in response
> to the first member of the Order of the Western White Scarf. Apparently
> that gentleman sat a vigil. From an historical perspective, anyone can
> choose to hold a vigil prior to any major life change, but I began
> wondering about former and current practices here.

>Do candidates for the White Scarf in Ansteorra ever hold vigils? If yes,
> is this the norm or a rare event?"

It has happened, but extremely rarely.  Ansgar received his White Scarf at
the same event that Cedric received his Laurel, and Cedric asked his friend
Ansgar to "share" his vigil.

The White Scarf is always in a politically sensitive position, because
fencing is looked down on in many kingdoms, and still illegal in one.  We
cannot act like we think we're peers, but our responsibilties to the fencing
community parallel those of the Chivalry to the fighting community, the
Laurels to the arts community, and the Pelicans to the service community.

There are knights right next door in our neighbor Gleann Abhann who believe
that we are acting like peers because we take students.  Others in other
kingdoms think we're getting "above ourselves" because we hold meetings with
the Crown.  But we are expected and required to do so.

So we need to be especially careful not to look like we're claiming peerage
privileges we can avoid.  Vigils are too close for comfort.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin