[Ansteorra] Please share your favorite memory of getting Largess

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 16:01:40 PST 2008

Active in the arts, I've received a number of largess items with the arts displays and competitions, from simple chocolates to earrings and pendants from foreign lands - and I treasure each one.  I've saved all the various beads and coins in a jar and one day, if I have enough, I'll make a Norse treasure necklace of them.

  However, the one piece of largess I received early in my SCA life, was after waterbearing all day at an event who's name I've forgotten, it was a three-way challenge between a chief from the north, one from the central and one from the southern regions (back when there were but 3 regions). I forget the other chiefs, perhaps Michael of Monmothshire and Inman?

  The Southern Chief was Count Dinaris the Wanderer, who'd come out of SCA retirement to play.  The campsite was primative, some back pasture land.  The day was gruelling hot and dusty, water was scarce, and volunteers scarcer. Haven't memory on who won, but at the end of the weekend, Dinaris called forth those who served him, and presented them with gifts.  Many of those early fighters now wear white belts - Sir Rowan, Sir Randall, and others.  I hadn't expected anything to go to me, I figured that was for those who fought for him, so I was very surprized when he thought for a moment as he surveyed the gifts, and pulled out a piece of white and silver ribbon trim of 5 yards, and gave it to me.

  I still have that trim, having hesitated a time or two on what to use it on.  Perhaps one of these days, I'll put it on pouches, (maybe Waterbearer pouches) and gift them away to others to share the largess and pay it forward.

  Cheers, Mst. Hillary Greenslade,
  Premier Ansteorran Waterbearer