[Ansteorra] speaking of children...

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 16:38:28 PST 2008

At 04:19 PM 1/19/2008, you wrote:

(snip)

>So a couple things to think about in answering: what are your attitudes
>toward children (especially those of other people)? What is there - in the
>SCA or at any given event - for children to be involved in? What do we do to
>not just make room for them in our dream, but make them a /part/ of it, and
>make ourselves a part of their dream?

Well-behaved kids are fine at events. The ones whose parents seem to
expect everybody else to be the babysitter while the parents are off
playing can be a real nuisance.

Things kids in the SCA can do:

Official children's activities.
Play with their friends--kids are endlessly inventive; even at a site
with nothing but a pile of rocks and sticks, they'll still find
*something* to do.
Boffer fighting, if they're at least 6.
Youth Rapier, if they're at least 12.
Water bearing, if they're big enough to carry the bottle and
responsible enough to do it properly.
Running cards between the heralds and the list mistress.
A&S-type stuff. Older kids can certainly learn to do embroidery or
calligraphy or somesuch. At many events there's a scribes' table
where they're working on current or future scrolls--a good place for
a kid with an artistic turn of mind.
Helping in the kitchen or with serving--again, presuming they're big
enough and responsible enough. (Our oldest daughter started serving
feasts when she was about 4 years old. By the time she was 8 or so,
she was capable of serving just like the grown-ups--even though few
cooks or head servers would believe it. I would frequently volunteer
to serve aong woth her, then I'd carry the platter of food and she'd
do the actual serving.)

As a generalization, if a kid is above the age of ten or so, acts
like an adult and interacts with other adults like an adult, most SCA
adults will *treat* the kid like an adult.

         -Tivar Mondragon