[Ansteorra] speaking of children...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 19 20:22:51 PST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008, at 4:19 PM, Quill wrote:

> So a couple things to think about in answering: what are your
> attitudes
> toward children (especially those of other people)? What is there -
> in the
> SCA or at any given event - for children to be involved in? What do
> we do to
> not just make room for them in our dream, but make them a /part/ of
> it, and
> make ourselves a part of their dream? And to those of you who were
> "born
> into the Society"... what keeps you here?

At least in my barony, I've seen a dramatic change in the way
children have been viewed. Ten+ years ago much of the barony was
divided into the folks with children and the partyers. The schedules
didn't mesh well. The partyers wanted to stay up late and party,
while the parent group wanted to go to bed early and wake up early,
much to the dismay of the late-sleeping/hung-over partyers. That
division has softened quite a lot as many of the partyers got older
and had children.

Many events have organized children's activities, although it has
gotten harder to find people willing to lead them with the two
unrelated adults at all times, and now the background check rules.

For more on children in the SCA and various activities for them, you
might want to browse through the CHILDREN section in the Florilegium.
A few of the files there include:

children-msg     (164K) 10/14/06    Children in the SCA and period.
children-SCA-lnks  (9K)  1/20/05    Links to info on children in the SCA
                                        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
chd-ck-clsses-msg (12K)  1/ 3/01    Children's cooking classes.
chd-actvites-msg  (43K)  8/25/00    Children's activities for SCA
events.
child-books-msg   (28K)  3/23/03    Children's Medieval and Ren.
history books.
child-clothes-msg (32K)  6/ 6/00    Period and SCA children's clothing.
child-gam-msg     (30K)  8/25/00    Period and SCA children's games.
child-wagons-msg  (12K)  8/21/07    Wagons for hauling children at
events.
Childs-Seat-art    (6K) 10/28/07    "A Child’s Seat" by Mistress
Slaine ni
                                        Chiarain.
Kindergarb-art    (12K)  1/12/03    Thoughts on making children's
clothing
                                        by Lady Hrosvitha von Celle.
Lights-Shared-art  (7K)  8/31/01    "Lights-Shared - A Children's
activity" by
                                        Countess Tessa of the
Gardens, OP.
p-cook-child-art   (8K)  1/25/06    “Bored? Period Cooking For the Next
                                        Generation!” by Mistress
Andrea MacIntyre
p-cook-child-msg  (15K)  7/14/04    Period cooking for children.

teenagers-msg     (26K)  2/15/01    Period and SCA teenagers. SCA
activities.

> -From the cookbook _Cornish Recipes Ancient and Modern_

I was unaware of any cookbooks which had actual Cornish medieval (or
older) recipes. I'd like to hear more about this book. Does it have
actual recipes or are they simply someone's guesses about what might
have been done? Unfortunately, many people, including some cookbook
authors often fail to distinguish between "traditional" and
"medieval". Tomatoes are "traditional" in some Italian cooking, but
certainly not medieval for instance. The same is apparently true of
the Cornish Pastry consisting of several different foods in different
areas of the same hand pie. This appears to be an 18th or 19th
century invention. :-(

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas