[Ansteorra] children and teen activities in the SCA

Mahee mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 17:46:56 PST 2008

teens do not attend events because there is nothing.. or little for them to do.

Teen combat is usaually not availible, but also... it is not a high interest.

My teens have been entourage/retinue since they first became teens. this makes them very happy. It is active and keeps them very buisy. They love it.

They love serving feast, helping cook feast, ... basically any work they can get.

Also, because there is nothing for teens, there are no awards for teens. yes, there is a Rising Star, but a lot of people will not ever concider a teen for an AOA. I have seen teens in Ansteorra receive AOA's. It is just rare. I have never seen a teen in AnTir receive one.

If we want teens in the SCA, we have to create a place for them.

your servant,
mahee

"lambdakennels1 at juno.com" <lambdakennels1 at juno.com> wrote: There isn't much for the under 18 crowd at most events I go to.  First, a disclaimr:  I don't have children, and unsupervised or poorly behaved children really annoy me.  I have been known to snap and snarl at them.  That said, while some events seem to have a few hours of supervised activities for the under 10 crowd, the 10-18 crowd seems to be left out in the cold.  This is  a problem for two reasons:  1) if they are not happy at events, their parents either don't go or have to find a place to put them while the parents attend, and 2) this is the age where kids seem to decide what activities they will be interested in as adults.  If there is nothing for them to do and they find events a drag, they will not stay in the SCA.  It is a lot easier to keep people then to find new people, so there ought to be more activities aimed at building skills and captivating this group so they stay involved in the SCA.  Now, I
 realize that at least one reason there is not more activities is
  there are not people willing to supervise them.  While I can teach some embroidery skills to well behaved children, I refuse to deal with poorly behaved ones, and they are the ones who most need something to occupy their attention and minds.  I am not sure what the answer is, but the problem needs to be recognized.

Lady Stephanie Lilburn
Stephanie Smith, Ph.D
Hunt County, Texas
Owned by a Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog
K5AMK

-- Quill  wrote:
How many LARPers does it take to take down an angry Italian child armed with
a sword?
Quite a few it seems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkirTaTwPBw&NR=1

But seriously, I'm not just spamming the list. I was wondering what the
attitude of the kingdom was toward children in general is. (This would be
anyone required to be accompanied with an over-21 at events.)
There are those who have them, and there are those who don't, those who
technically are and those who until recently /were/ children. I myself fall
somewhat into the latter category (no I don't, I was born old, it just took
everyone awhile to catch on) but more importantly to me, I have younger
brothers, (4, 8, and 16) who want to follow their "little big brother" to
events (I asked one of them what he thinks he wants to do - he said he wants
to be king, so look out people!), and I'd love to take them, but I'm curious
to know what kind of world they'd be entering.
So a couple things to think about in answering: what are your attitudes
toward children (especially those of other people)? What is there - in the
SCA or at any given event - for children to be involved in? What do we do to
not just make room for them in our dream, but make them a /part/ of it, and
make ourselves a part of their dream? And to those of you who were "born
into the Society"... what keeps you here?

((I know I'm going to regret this when I get inundated with responses; my
inbox is sore already.))
--
In service to The Dream and Dreamers all,
Cuillioc /|\ "Quill"

"It is said that the Devil never crossed the Tamar into Cornwall on account
of the well-known habit of Cornish women of putting everything into a pasty,
and that he was not sufficiently courageous to risk such a fate!"

-From the cookbook _Cornish Recipes Ancient and Modern_