[Ansteorra] Pay-2-play, Pay-2-fight, Pay-2-whatever...

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed Jan 9 21:43:03 PST 2008

R the O wrote:

> Why would they do that? If the point is to count actual human beings over
> 18 who participate, then they should count actual human beings who
> participate over the age of 18.

The original intent was not to count actual human beings over 18 who
particpate; it was to count Black Star subscriptions.  When I joined in the
1970s, the requirement for subscribing membership was clear and reasonable.
Kingdom status required 200 subscribing members.  That meant 200 Black
Stars to be sent out, and the postal regulations required at least 200
subscriptions to qualify for bulk mailing rates.

Kingdoms now require 400 members, and the corporate requirement has been
loosened to include more classes of membership.

> I understand only counting paid memberships, because otherwise people who
> havn't played in yeras but 'mean to get to this next event' would be
> counted,
> when they shouldn't be, but not counting me because I paid a discounted
> amount is silly. Does that mean that the extra I paid for the family
> membership
> doesn't count? If so, can I have it back, please?

"Count" for what?  Each member in a family membership gets into the event
without paying the $3 non-member surcharge.  It doesn't count for shire
status, but I don't believe a family of 6 constitutes a viable shire.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin