[Ansteorra] Member or Not?

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Thu Jan 10 22:20:00 PST 2008

This is a strawman. If you look at all the 501(c)3 groups, indeed
educational or charitable groups as a whole, not many allow membership at
this price and very few allow non-members to play. For a counter example,
look at YMCA. They charge hundreds of dollars in my area. The Boy Scouts
charge at least what the SCA does, then requires you to buy uniforms and
other items directly from them. This costs 3 to 5 times what the SCA charges
(yes, you have to make an attempt at pre 1600 garb, but the SCA does not
sell it to you).

The IRS looks at whether the funds you take in are properly spent on your
chartered purpose. Ours is to educate people about the middle ages and
preserve skills and knowledge of the time. Though we are less expensive than
most 501(c)3 groups, our charter is not to provide knowledge at the lowest
possible cost or to provide it to the less fortunate. Those are admirable
goals, but not part of the charter.

Our legal status is not in jeopardy because non-members or some members who
do not subscribe to the newsletter are not counted as one of many factors in
determining if a chapter is viable. We could obviously collapse our
structure to one type of membership, require everyone to be members, raise
the rates to 3 times the current ones, and still remain a 501(c)3. I'm not
saying we should do any of those things, but they would not get us in
trouble with the IRS.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede (not a lawyer but acquainted with IRS regulations)