[Ansteorra] Urban legends (was: Group status changes)

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 10:52:01 PDT 2008

At 10:16 AM 7/17/2008, you wrote:

>I had heard a different version that stemmed from a clerical error.
>Evidently a local police chief had asked the FBI about the SCA upon
>learning of an upcoming demo, and the FBI did not look up the correct
>group before sending their summary.
>
>Maybe that's an urban legend too, who knows.
>
>Ivo

That sounds like a variant of the basic Urban Legend: somebody wrote
down Society for Creative *Anarchism* instead of Anachronism on some
form, and (since this was back in the late '60s) the FBI infiltrated
the SCA to make sure we *weren't* planning to overthrow the US
government and replace it with a monarchy. Supposedly the FBI guys
wore grey flannel T-tunics while they were checking us out.

The result of the investigation (depending on which version of the UL
you follow) was that we were labeled as "weird but not dangerous" or
"the group most likely to survive in the event of a nuclear war."

Realistically, considering the number of SCA folks in the military,
if we *were* on some kind of government blacklist, there would be all
kinds of repercussions.

         -Tivar Moondragon