[Ansteorra] Drawing in Members...

Sonja Crocker sonja.crocker at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 07:51:51 PST 2010

My first exposure to the SCA was a demo then it was a fighter practice. I
didn't go to an event or a meeting for a long while after that. I think that
demos and fighter practices are great for getting newcomers. I feel that
demos especially are great. There is more of the good type of drama going
on. I loved the way that they rapier fighters "died" or how their ladies ran
to the field to mourn their loss. I also loved the dancing. A lot of times I
wish there could be more. I know it is hard to get everyone together for
these, but I still wish we could see more of them. I love being able to "get
into character" for those other than my fellow members. I love to see the
awe in the mundane person's face as we bring the middle ages to life. That
is what hooked me. I didn't join in Atlantia after those fighter practices,
because I was only 16 at the time. My parents wanted no part of the SCA (it
was too weird). So, I just kept going to practices and the occasional event
until I was 18 and joined then. I have heard from so many that doing demos
at high schools are a waste because you just can't get members that way.
Yes, you can. The fighter practices I attended were full of teenagers and
most of them had parents who felt like mine. We all hung out and had a great
time. We all attended events together. I know the SCA needs to make money
through memberships but should it be so important that we skip doing demos
in areas where we will see the most the good? To me, the success of a demo
isn't how many members we get, but how many people are wowed by us and come
up to us wanting more info, how many teens (or other people) show up at a
fighter practice and how many people can share The Dream with us.

--
Cait O'Hara
mka: Sonja Crocker