[Ansteorra] Marking your property

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 08:38:30 PST 2010

How about a 6 inch wide, 12 inch long piece of white material with the Hospitaler's symbol and/or a question mark?

That's long enough to fold in half and hang from a belt, or to pin to your tunic. It's very easy to make, even for the sewing-challenged (like myself), and it's not a belt, or a hat, or a cord, or any other easily misidentified doohickey that Ansteorrans wear. It'd be easy to put on or take off.

And, for my two cents, when I started homeschooling, I went to several big meetings with our local homeschooling group, was offered and was happy to wear a tag that said 'Hi, My Name Is ________ And I'm New!'. I don't think that a homeschooling meeting is half the culture shock that an event is... I know other newbies that would have been be happy to wear such a symbol, if only to learn more and make mistakes less.

I know that we're all *super-nice* people, and we'll *always react perfectly* if someone makes a mistake around us, like mistaking our titles when looking right at the symbols like hats and spurs and whatnot, and nobody will *ever, ever* react badly or be offended by that, even if that someone is in a nice piece of borrowed finery and looks like they've been around for awhile but, that impossible scenario aside, seeing THEM wearing the new badge will tell you that it's okay to give them information about their mistake, without worrying about embarrassing them.

-R the O

Wonder is the cause of delight because it carries the hope of discovery.     -Thomas Aquinas