[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Thu Feb 18 10:32:55 PST 2010

AEthelyan wrote:

>Still, "Temporary Membership Fee" is much more welcoming than "Non-Member
>Surcharge." Can we give it that kind of slant somehow?

I wish we could.  But we have no authority to name somebody a member if the corporation doesn't do so.  While no legal authority would care, calling it a membership to be more welcoming while collecting the fee is technically "an intentional perversion of truth for the purpose of inducing another to part with some valuable thing", which is the legal definition of fraud.  (Black's Law Dictionary)

We can try to get the BoD to sell event-long memberships for five dollars, though.  This might have some legal consequences that we're not aware of, however.  (Perhaps a member, even for a weekend, might have standing to sue in some situation that non-members don't.)

In fact, both "Temporary Membership Fee" and "Non-Member Surcharge" are equally misleading.  In practice, it's actually a penalty for not providing a membership number.  If somebody shows up that you *know* is a member, and he has no card or magazine label to verify his membership number, he has to pay the NMS.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin